The ‘BOSH!’ boys, Henry Firth and Ian Theasby, put their twist on the party favourite with this watermelon Jägerbomb Punch in hollowed out melons with fresh fruit.
- 1 very large watermelon (at least 50cm diameter)
- 1 Galia melon (that will comfortably fit inside your watermelon)
- 2 x 250ml cans energy drink
- 8–12 ice cubes
- handful fresh strawberries or blueberries
- 350ml Jägermeister
- Liquidiser or stick blender
- 1. Choose which side will be the bottom of the watermelon; if it doesn’t stand up straight, use a knife to slice a very small sliver off the base. Once it’s standing upright, cut horizontally across the middle. Take off the top and keep it for another recipe.
- 2. Scoop out all the watermelon flesh and seeds from the bottom half until the inside looks neat. Transfer the flesh to the liquidiser and blend (or use a stick blender and a bowl), then pour into a large bowl through a sieve to remove any seeds.
- 3. Scrub the Galia melon with a brush to make sure it’s clean. Lay it on its side and slice off the top 4cm. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Scoop out the melon flesh and transfer it to the liquidiser. Whizz and then pour through a sieve into the bowl with the watermelon juice. Save the melon shell, this will act as your shot glass.
- 4. Pour the energy drinks into the melon juice and stir. Now pour half the juice mixture into the hollowed-out watermelon. Carefully place the hollowed-out Galia melon into the middle of the watermelon so that it’s floating in the melon juice.
- 5. Drop ice cubes and berries into the melon juice around the edges. Pour the Jägermeister into the Galia melon (don’t fill it too much in case it sinks). Top up the edges with more melon juice to fill the watermelon bowl (you might have some left over, which you can use to refill later on).
- 6. Take the watermelon to the party, lift out the Galia ‘shot glass’ and drop it BACK into the watermelon punch bowl in front of all your guests so that the Jägermeister spills into the melon juice. Wait for the applause.