The ‘BOSH!’ boys, Henry Firth and Ian Theasby, have created this delicious, fresh, vegan tacos recipe.
- 1 x serving guacamole
- 1 x serving salsa
- 1 x 400g tin young green jackfruit in water
- 1 white onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 100ml vegetable stock
- ½ tsp Tabasco sauce
- 4 limes
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½–1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
- handful fresh coriander
- 12 crunchy taco shells
- Deep frying pan with a lid on a medium heat
- 1. Tip the jackfruit into a sieve or colander to drain off the excess water and pat the pieces down with a clean tea towel to dry them off. Cut into 5mm strips and put to one side.
- 2. Peel and slice the onion and garlic very thinly. Warm the vegetable oil in the frying pan.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon until soft and translucent.Add the jackfruit, maple syrup, vegetable stock and Tabasco sauce. Cut 1 of the limes in half and squeeze in the juice of one half, catching any pips in your other hand. Stir until the jackfruit is well covered.
- 3. Put the lid on the pan, turn down the heat and let it simmer for 7–10 minutes, stirring
occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed into the jackfruit. Take the lid off the pan and sprinkle over all the spices and the salt. Stir until the jackfruit pieces are well covered and taking on the colour of the spices. Transfer the jackfruit pieces to a serving dish.
- 4. Slice the remaining limes into wedges and remove the leaves from the coriander by
running your thumb and forefinger from the top to the base of the stems (the leaves should easily come away), saving the stalks for another recipe. Serve the taco shells, jackfruit, guacamole, salsa, lime wedges and coriander leaves on individual plates and let everyone build their own tacos.