TAKK has expanded from its Scandi-inspired coffee shop in the Northern Quarter to open an outlet at Hatch. It’s the perfect place to enjoy their bespoke Nordic-style espresso and a slice of this delicious brownie while watching the world go by.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
250g salted butter
200g dark chocolate
1 tsp vanilla extract
360g caster sugar
80g cocoa powder
75g plain flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and line a square tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the chocolate in a mixing bowl and put it to one side, then melt the butter in a pan over a gentle heat. Pour the melted butter over the chocolate and stir to combine until all the chocolate is melted.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, vanilla and sugar in a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy.
4. Add the chocolate and butter mixture and continue to whisk for a few more minutes.
5. Sift the the cocoa powder, flour, salt and baking powder into the mix and stir thoroughly to ensure no pockets of dry ingredients remain.
6. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
7. When done, transfer to a rack to cool.
The Manchester Cook Book: Second Helpings is published by Meze Publishing. Retail price £14.95. Available for purchase in all of the businesses featured in the cook book and online at www.mezepublishing.co.uk/shop.